Friday, September 28, 2012

So I Can Stand on Mountains

Today was a beautiful day for exploring on my own. I had heard about a city about 5 miles outside of Florence called Fiesole and was intrigued by its charming reputation. I simply took a regular bus from the San Marco Piazza and we headed up one of the neighboring mountains. At the first sign I saw saying Fiesole, I hopped off. I thought that the ride had been exceptionally short, considering that I heard the downtown was at the near top of the mountain. So I soon discovered, the first stop is not the Piazza in the middle of Fiesole I wanted to get off at. Luckily, where I got off and all the way up on my walk there were amazing views of Florence. I also really enjoyed the time to myself and being in a quiet, peaceful atmosphere. Also on the way up there were huge villas and gardens, it made me so jealous! 


A cathedral ceiling that I stopped in

One of the pretty villas

On my journey up to the heart of the city I came across a beautiful viewing site with some benches. I took a seat and stayed there for about an hour and just soaked it all in. It gave me so much inspiration I wrote a poem! Here it goes:

Up here, everything is beautiful.
The air is cool. 
Fragrant scents from harvesting plants dance around my nose and face.
The trees are lush.
They cover every shade of green the eye can capture, their depth tricking your perception, not allowing you to see one stand alone, but only the volume of their forest.
The sky is everywhere. 
Clouds sink low into the valleys and blend the mountains all together, as if to say, "we are one."
The city is vast. 
Quiet and tranquil it sits as a lake amid high green peeks.
Il Duomo emerges tall, capturing my eye with its alluring majesty.
Everything is alive. 
My breathe captures the energy around me with every inhale. I am awakened by its purposeful energy. One season is ending, it is a time of change. 
I am alive. 
I am changing. 
I am a part of its energy, and humbled by its beauty. 


Okay I did finally get to the top of the mountain and to the main piazza of Fiesole! I walked around a few shops, went to a convent and had lunch. I highly recommend this trip because its close, the view is obviously gorgeous and I had one of my best meals here (I usually don't even tell you guys about places that aren't in my top 5). Vinandro is a nice little restaurant in the piazza and was recommended by both a Florence and Fiesole resident. Here's the pics from the rest of my adventure!

The convent at the top of the mountain

Overlooking my city. Unfortunately it was still early so the fog prevented a clearer pic. 

Pretty steep way up! 

Down in the Piazza Mino, Fiesole. 

Lunch from Vinandro. I had to order the risotto al porcini because they're in season right now, I made a fabulous choice. The porcini were cooked perfectly they were like tender silky pillows, the sauce was so flavorful and the sweetness from the white wine in it was incredible. Every bite had me amazed. Luckily I couldn't finish it all and have some for later!

Ci vediamo a dopo, ciao i miei amici. One love.